Wednesday, October 12, 2016

God's Word is good, let it be just that!

   Often I see things on facebook, and other places, that sounds very "spiritual", and some of them have some merit. This one I am sharing with you has a completely true statement it in- that being that Jesus came and gave us many, well~ all good things. The most powerful deception comes with a partial truth, and therein is one of my biggest alarm buttons, particularly in the matters of God and His Word. These partial truths that are gussied up with some curtly put paradox, or heart rendering waxing of eloquence are thoughts dropped in the mind of the reader that can, and do, diminish their overall understanding of who God is, what His Word really says, and therefore cripple and diminish the power of that Word in their life. That bothers me, a lot. As children of God we are to be victorious, more than conquerors, blessed, to have peace and joy, and to be prosperous in every area of our lives. That gets compromised when our understanding of God and His Word are compromised in us. I will most likely post on the keeping of the commandment of love before Christmas. I mean after all, it was love that sent Jesus to earth.

   In the meantime, here is a little something that I just spotted on facebook, and felt a post for Honeycomb come on.


   In the overall, eternal picture, it is ALL about what Jesus in His grace, mercy, compassion and love did. Period. But, this statement of Mr. Lucado’s gives far to much room for encouraging a lack of responsibility on us, and is untrue. You don’t have to call it a “list” but Jesus was very clear on these, and other, commandments for us:

So He answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’” Luke 10:27a

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” John 13:34      

“...and the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:31

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.”  Luke 6:27-28

We are to love God, our brothers and sisters in the body of Christ, our neighbors and our enemies. Jesus goes on to tell us to serve, do good, pray for others, care for them, bless them, share the gospel and go make disciples.....  None of these “works” determine our salvation, or God’s love for us. But let’s not put it out there that Jesus came with nothing for us to do.  Negating these things is disobedience and though you can go to Heaven, this disobedience will keep you from going anywhere else God, through the work of Jesus, wants to take you. 

   I post here on this because there is so much of this “easy grace” out there, and it is dumbing down the body of Christ. Why do the words "seeker friendly" come to mind? We ARE to do the things Christ did, the very things He did for us, in essence to love people. Those verses above, and many like them,  were not suggestions, they were commands. I understand that the “letter of the law” kills, and I am the first one up to come against legalism. These commands Jesus gave were not “rules", and a “religion” can not legitimately be made out of them.  They are about our relationship with Him, and the entire purpose of these, and other commands are so that we can glorify God, shine our light before all men so they can see God, and to be blessed and prosper in every area of our life. The finished work of the cross of Jesus gives the promise and the power to walk so, but we must walk in His Word. Period.

“If you love Me, keep My commandments.” 
John 14:15

Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” 
John 14:23

   This would probably be a good time to say that joy and peace govern my life because I embrace and walk, to best of my ability with God’s grace and help, in His Word. I don’t have to do it, but I would never NOT do it. I love the life I have with Jesus.


“If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” 
John 13:17



No comments: