Wednesday, May 9, 2007

What a wonderful way to brighten my day!


I have been so busy trying to do home improvements and work on a writing project that I would love to see come to completion, that blogging has not been an option for me time wise the last few days. But, a few minutes ago my doorbell rang and time stood still. My daughter Melissa, sent me the most beautiful bouquet of flowers to give my Mother's Day an early start. Melissa is the butterfly of all my children. She is colorful, bright, she flits and floats and has since she began crawling. Her nickname is, Sunshine. That really needs no explanation. The flowers are beautiful (notice the pink.. whoo hoo!!) and have truly brightened my week. Thank you, Sunshine!

Mother's Day. What a beautiful idea. On the second Sunday of May, America honors her moms. The idea however was founded in, England. During the eighteenth century many people worked as servants for the affluent. One Sunday every year, these servants were allowed to have the day off and go home to visit their "mums". This day was called, "Mothering Sunday". When the technology of the Industrial Revolution came about in the the late 1700's and early 1800's, - the introduction of machines replacing humans in the work force, the socioeconomic and cultural practices of the people of Britain changed drastically. The ushering in of new technology ushered out the observance of, "Mothering Sunday". Britain would adopt Mother's Day later in the 1900's.

However, it was a woman named Anna Jarvis, from West Virginia, USA, that would resurrect just such a day. Anna's mother was a faithful and supportive Pastor's wife. She made a lovely home for the family and, Anna learned so much from her mother. Her mother loved gardening. Anna learned much about life tending a flower garden filled with mostly white Carnations in her mother's garden with her. Her mother loved flowers and these were her favorite. When her mother died May 5, 1905, Anna vowed to find a way to honor her. She asked her minister to dedicate a sermon that Sunday to her mother's life. The minister in a church in Philadelphia, where her father had served, honored all mother's in his sermon that Sunday. Anna began sending letters to Washington to get a day set aside to honor mothers. In 1910, the governor of West Virginia declared the second Sunday of May to be, "Mother's Day". The following year the other states followed suit. By 1915, "Mother's Day" was a national holiday in the United States. And, flowers are STILL a big part of that day! And for that, today, I am oh so very thankful. :-)

Oh, I love it that the whole beautiful thought of "Mother's Day", originated in England!

I thought I might insert a few pictures here.
My daughter, Melissa! Melissa and I with her older daughter.













Me, with Melissa's younger daughter. The time honored practice of honoring momma's goes on!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Mellisa is so like you Teresa. I have been enjoying your cards. I downsized my crafting and art too some time ago. I gave away my watercolours and everything tht went with them. Also all my Calligraphy stuff and all my silk painting stuff. Kept only the stuff for card making. As you can imagine since blogging I get very few cards made these days.