Friday, August 9, 2013

9 Fruits Alive



   9 Fruits Alive1  is a book I discovered after having grandchildren. I love children's books and this book caught my eye because I wanted to start talking about the fruit of the Spirit with them even at the young ages they were. Well, especially at the young ages they were. There is just no substance in teaching children, or adults, something unless their is life in it. I love that. You share something that God says, and you don't need to be Bible thumping ~ preachy about it, and the Holy Spirit takes it from there.


   In the 1990's I worked for both a library and then a lovely family owned Christian book store.  It was then I discovered Multnomah Publishers in Sisters, Oregon. I believe they are now WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group, a division of Random House.  This children's board book published by their KIDZ division is one of their books I really like. I bought copies of this book for my grandchildren years ago when it first came out. It quickly became my grandson's favorite book. He is now twelve years old and still likes it.


Mindy MacDonald wrote this book. It is one of four in her series of God Counts books. The other three are Jesus and the 12 Dudes Who Did, Noah's Crew Came 2 by 2, and 7 Days of Creation. At the end of the book there is more to share and discuss with your child, grandchild, niece, nephew.... or just to ponder yourself. Here are the delightful stanza's Mindy uses. The illustrations by David Austin Clar are equally lovely!



Charlie P. Cooper, don’t you know?
You need some fruit to help you grow.


Apples, bananas and
grapes are yummy,
but fruit of the Spirit is for
more than your tummy.


Love is a fruit that is good for your heart.
Giving dad hugs is a good place to start.


Joy is a fruit you can pass along,
by singing your favorite silly song.


Peace is meant for you to share,
with friends who are fighting and need some care.


Patience is a fruit you can bring outside,
to have while you wait for your turn on the slide.


Kindness is sharing your best bouncy ball,
or helping someone up after they fall.



Goodness is a fruit you should have each day,
by helping your mom put your toys away.


Faithfulness is being a friend to the end,
playing together till you’re 110!


Gentleness is caring for friends who are sad.
Soft words and smiles will help them feel glad.


Self~control is something you can show,
by not getting angry when parents say no.


Fruit doesn’t just grow on a tree.
It also grows in you and me.


When you love God with all your heart,
His Spirit makes the growing start.



   We have three fruit left to talk about next week. There are so many facets of each fruit that it is hard to keep posts short. I will finish up the nine fruit, and then from time to time revisit them in future posts. For now, it is  Friday and I have homework assignments to review and have done by Sunday evening, and my husband and I have fun planned for the weekend.


 Enjoy your weekend!




MacDonald, Mindy, and David Austin. Clar. 9 Fruits Alive: Discover the Fruit of the Spirit. Sisters, Or.: Multnomah, 2004. Print.



No comments: