Thursday, September 26, 2013

Coleen's Best Pancakes Ever

      Last Friday evening while getting ready to turn in for the night I thought I would try a pancake recipe for breakfast that I discovered on Pinterest. I thought we would eat outside since we had been having delightfully cool and sunny days. When I got up and looked out the kitchen door this is what I found.


It had been raining most of the night unbeknownst to me and it was still raining.

Okay, plan B ~ we eat inside.

   The recipe is called Best Pancakes Ever and can be found over at Coleen's Recipes. Please go there as she has gone to considerable length to give good details about two steps in the mixing process that really are important. I will list the ingredients here:

Best Pancakes Ever

3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar 
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Coleen will tell you she uses 3 tablespoons of sugar and so did I. They were sweet. You could use 2, and I may next time but I do like the kick of sweet with the fermentation of the vinegar and baking soda. These pancakes are very good. 

Souring the Milk
Time for Fermenting


Lovely Aroma 
Syrup and Cherries, Jon prefers Red Fruit on Pancakes


      So I let Jon know breakfast was ready and he shows me this comic.



   I am a cartoon lover and he loves the comics. This one was in his email this very morning and certainly seemed apropos. When we do have pancakes it is at weekend. The last time I posted about a pancake recipea dear English woman I know, Barbara, commented on how that pancake recipe looked to be "A real American breakfast..." She is right, they are quite American.


Pancakes and Sausage for Breakfast







   While eating we talked about how nice the rain sounded and how much like autumn it felt that morning. A few days earlier we had been at a park close to our house that has a river with a small waterfall. It was running slow and low with very little "waterfall". We decided to start our day by going there first. The water was indeed up and running nicely. I thought I would share that. I love rain, and autumn is my favorite season. Autumn begins on the next day and we are off to a great start!





No comments: