Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Something Sweet


  I have a history with bananas and peanut butter, and bananas and oatmeal.  Do any of you remember the fluffernutter? 


That sandwich was my favorite after school snack. Here is the link that picture came from. We almost always had bananas on hand while I was growing up, and I put one on my fluffernutter when we did. I do not have a picture for this so I was tickled to find one online. I was delighted to see I was not the only one adding banana to my fluffernutter.


This picture comes from this blog. She deep fries the sandwich. I never did that, nor did I ever toast it. I loved the soft gooeyness of the sandwich. The reason I have no pictures is because I never buy loaves of white sandwich bread anymore, have not done for years. And, I only have Marshmallow Fluff around during the holidays. Here is a cute link I stumbled on while strolling down Memory Lane. This next link will take you to a blog post that has recipes I use for Peanut Butter Banana Date Bread, and Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins. I leave the chocolate chips out of those muffins as you will see. I did love them in these cookies though! Here is the link for those.

   I really do not have a sweet tooth, but last night about 9:00 I was thinking something sweet sounded good. I decided to check my email and facebook instead ~ and then head for bed. Yeah... the best laid plans and all that... there it was. A dear woman I know had just posted something on facebook, and this is what it was.

Sinless Cookies, no less.

   Well, bananas and peanut butter... hmmm. I have been using up bananas for the last few days by mashing one in my oatmeal, so I figured this would get rid of two of the three left. :-)  Oh how we can reason and rationalize? Anyone relate? This all took place within the next twenty~five minutes.
   
That is it for the ingredients.

That is it for any real effort needed to be made ~ there is the last of the really ripe bananas.

I did not have dark chocolate chips, but I imagine those semi~sweet ones will do.

Ready for the oven.

That's it for clean up, this was just too simple.

Cooling.

These are very, very good.

My oatmeal and banana breakfast was a little different this morning. YUM!!!

 I can assure you, those little semi~healthy gems hit the spot that was wanting something sweet.  A few days ago I was studying how Jesus operated while on this earth and come across this verse. 

They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey,
even honey dripping from the comb. 
Psalm 19:10

In Psalm 19:1-14, David is talking about two ways that God reveals Himself to man. General revelation comes through His creation; specific revelation comes through His Word. In verse 10 David is talking about how sweet the Word of God is. Jesus was the Word made flesh and so that verse was key in that study. Reading it reminds me of the hymn, There’s Within My Heart a Melody. The refrain of that hymn says:
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, 
sweetest name I know, 
fills my every longing, 
keeps me singing as I go.

Jesus is the sweetest name I know, I love Him and I love the Word of God, it is sweet.

   The name of the woman that put that recipe on facebook is, Jan. Years ago while in my twenties, I found myself with three small girls and divorced. Jan was very kind and accepting of me, and let me just say without being nasty, that was not real common in the church I was in. She was a quiet and hard working woman with a sense of humor and a tremendous drive to serve God through being a wife, mother, and a vital part of the churchs' youth. She has been faithful to that call all of these thirty some years, and I suspect always will be. She also had tremendous compassion for single women with children. She was very kind to me, and caring. She offered her friendship to me. Her words were encouraging, uplifting and sweet. The cookie recipe she offered last night on facebook did hit the sweet tooth spot, and I will make them again. Her words and investment in my life all those years ago made a permanent impact on my life. Her desire to serve Jesus Christ benefitted me in a priceless and powerful way. If I do not make those cookies for a while, I will remember they were good but I won’t get the benefit of enjoying them without making them again. But, what Jan did for me all those years ago, I have never, and will never forget. I could not forget that sweetness, that fruit of the Spirit of God ~ even if I tried.

   This blog is called Honeycomb Cottage, and there is Bible verse attached to it.

Kind words are like honey~
    sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.
Proverbs 16:24

That is not just some sappy little verse I pulled out of my hat to use because my blog is named, Honeycomb Cottage. I named the blog because of the verse. What we say to people is powerful. Our words can make or break a person. 
Sticks and stones
can break my bones, 
but words will never harm me. 

was an old English rhyme to teach children to not retaliate when teased, insulted or taunted by others. Later it became a nursery rhyme and "harm me" was changed to "hurt me." Either way it is a lie. Words have the power of life and death in them.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.
Proverbs 18:21

   I like the little saying that says, Keep your words soft and sweet you never know when you may have to eat them. Well, God's Word says you will eat them so I choosing sweet ones rather than nasty, sarcastic, demeaning... you get the idea... words is the better way to go. Someone being kind and speaking sweet words to me changed my life. We can choose what we say, and I am so thankful for Jan's choice. Her life has shown the love of God to everyone she has met. I know God's hand was in her being a part of mine. 

   Be that kind person with sweet words that you want someone to be to you. It is amazing how much that is needed, and how far it can take someone. Sweet little treats are nice for the moment, but it is the sweetness of someone living out the Word of God in your life, someone blessing you with the fruit of the spirit out of their life that lasts.

   I would love to hear how someone has made a difference in your life with the power of their words.

May the words of my mouth
    and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to You,
    O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14





No comments: