Saturday, July 7, 2007

Baking Basque and gardening.

Well, it's Saturday and that just seems to be the morning I bake. Weekday mornings are too rushed and with only 2 days on the weekend, early Saturday morning has just been a good time for me to bake, and for Jon and I to actually talk and catch up. He really enjoys cherry anything, and cherry almond is a flavor he really likes. So, I made the Basque Cake I referred to in my post a couple of days ago. This cake is really simple to make and would be worth it at four times the work. I think it makes the perfect coffee cake. I am also thinking it will become a permanent part of my Christmas day baking. The next time I bake this cake I am going to have Millstone Chocolate Velvet coffee. Though I am not a huge chocolate fan, I think chocolate would be the perfect compliment to this buttery, cherry, almond, tasty treat.

Guess what this picture means. It means that I am going to be baking Lavender Tea Cookies. Working on a Lavender Scone recipe. Enjoying icy cold Lavender Lemonade and Iced Tea with Lavender. I will be drying Lavender to mix with dried English Mint, Lemon Verbena and Chamomile that I dry in the fall to make a soothing homemade herbal tea blend. New for me this year (I have been waiting eagerly to try this) I am going to make Lavender Sugar. I am really excited about that. I just haven't decided if I am going to go dried or fresh, ground or sift style. I am leaning toward dried and ground. I will be making some closet and drawer sachets. And, if there is enough after all of that, I will add what is left of the dried Lavender to my thyme, rosemary, marjoram and basil at the end of the season. Throw in a little savory and bay leaf. Mmmm... maybe no bay leaf this time. Voila! Homemade Herbs de Provence.


I haven't really listed the things in my garden. Here they are:

Veggies:
Early Girl, Better Boy & Beef Master Tomatoes
Red, Yellow & Green Sweet Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Spinach
Bibb (Butter head type) Lettuce
Gourmet Blend Lettuce (red and green loose leaf)

Herbs:
English Thyme
English Mint
Lavender
Spearmint
Lemon Verbena
Lemon Thyme
Greek Oregano
French Tarragon
Rosemary
Sweet Basil
Genovese Basil
Parsley
Cilantro
Chamomile
Marjoram
Chive
Garlic Chive
Sage
Curry Plant

Be well and blessed!



No comments: