Monday, December 30, 2013

My Christmas Novel Pick This Year

   Although I have read fiction books written by male authors I tend to read primarily female authors. When I bought this year's fiction Christmas book I assumed the author was a woman. The author's name is T. Davis Bunn. That is how the name appears on the book jacket. T. Davis Bunn is a prolific male author. Who knew? Having written under the pen name Thomas Locke, I am guessing the T. may be for Thomas.... and not say... Tamara, Tracy, Tina or Teresa...... :-)  I believe he is now writing simply under, Davis Bunn. He has apparently written a number of historical fiction and legal thriller books. I am not so over the top for a "thriller" but I do enjoy legally plotted fiction and historical fiction. While this book takes place in current time, it revolves around the ending of World War II in, England. Those of you that know me know WWII from the British, particularly English, side is a topic of great interest to me.
   My pick this year for favorite Christmas fiction story is not a novella but a full length novel. I highly recommend this treasure and waiting for Christmas to read it is not necessary. The story revolves around a current Christmas and a Christmas gone by decades ago while hope, joy, giving of ourselves to others and love are at the heart of this story. The true meaning of Christmas is portrayed in this well written story but it could be enjoyed anytime. My pick this year is Tidings of Comfort & Joy, by T. Davis Bunn.


   Charles Dickens once said, "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." Giving gifts, appreciating and fellowshipping with and loving family and friends, looking back on good memories and blessings, having hope and great expectations for the future, singing songs of joy, even eating and enjoying the abundance we so easily take for granted are all a part of Christmas, and the Christmas season. While we may not experience those wonderful things in such a way throughout the year, we can experience the constant, unconditional and endless love of God and the Savior He sent that first “Christmas” morning. We can walk in the excitement, anticipation, hope, joy and love we celebrate at Christmas everyday of the year. That great, unmatchable Gift God gave us in His Son was intended to restore to mankind everything we lost in, Adam ~ once and for all that would receive His Gift. The promises and Covenant God gave man are shown at length throughout the Old Testament where the promises are made and the New Testament where they are established. If we choose to accept this gift from God we can enjoy forgiveness and right standing with God, eternal life with Him forever, and a life here on earth full of satisfaction, abundance of health, peace, protection, provision and prosperity in all areas of our life.  When the Christmas "season" comes we will truly have something to sing about, something to proclaim!

   If you have not accepted the gift of Jesus I would be happy to talk to you about it, feel free to leave a comment or send me an email through the "Drop me a line" gadget toward the top and on the right of this blog. Accepting this Gift of Jesus will give much more meaning to Christmas for you, and will give you the peace and purpose you long for.



For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  John 3:16


1 comment:

Kim said...

I will have to check out that book. I just finished a Lucy Maud Montgomery book called Emily of New Moon and want to read the whole series. Really enjoying it!

Speaking of which, I found out that a series was made using (loosely) stories from the books. They really play around with the original stories, but it's well done and keeps your interest. The spiritual stuff is all over the map, but I love the characters (some you start out not liking at all, though!) and get caught up in their lives. I got the Complete Series for only $10.69! It's a little pricier now, but may drop again. Lots of mystery and suspense and very much like the Tales of Avonlea.