Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Salmon: it's what's for dinner.

Last night for dinner we had:

Honey~Soy Broiled Salmon
Toasted Almonds in Rice Pilaf
Fresh Green Beans

The salmon was really good. I was surprised at how much flavor the marinade offered. And, it is so quick and easy to make. Not to mention everything from the salmon to sesame seeds are items I usually have on hand. It was so good, I thought I would share the recipe with you. I did not realize how good it was going to be, so I did not plan to post about it, and so it was eaten before I snapped a photo. Sorry. Having told you all of that, I will now share with you a little something my husband, (my burger, hot dog, pizza, processed and~or fast food loving husband), emailed me this morning.

This is the comic my husband sent me this morning.
The image “http://www.comics.com/comics/raisingduncan/archive/images/raisingduncan2003056780806.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

No matter, it was healthy, delicious and satisfying. So, I pass the recipe sans photo along to you.

Honey-Soy Sauce Broiled Salmon

Ingredients:
1 scallion, minced (I call them spring onions, you may call them green onions)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound salmon fillet cut into 4 portions
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (see Tip)

Instructions:
1. Whisk scallion, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and ginger in a medium bowl until the honey is dissolved. Place salmon in a zip lock style plastic bag, add 3 (I used 5) tablespoons of the sauce, seal bag and refrigerate; let marinate for 15 minutes (I marinated for an hour). Reserve the remaining sauce.
2. Preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Transfer the salmon to the pan, skinned-side down. (Discard the marinade.) Broil the salmon 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes(I turned salmon over and broiled for another 3 minutes on the opposite side to caramelize the honey a bit). Drizzle with the reserved sauce and garnish with sesame seeds.

TIP: To toast seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.

My adaptation of a the recipe from EATINGWELL: The Magazine of Food & Health
Copyright 2005 Eating Well, Inc.


1 comment:

Pam said...

yummm yummmm yummmmmmmm