Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day Cards


To imitate someone is to pay them a genuine compliment, and it usually happens unknowingly. I used to tell my girls that when someone copied them, even (and especially) if it was one of their sisters, that it was the highest form of flattery. For my Father's Day card for Jon this year, I had an idea that I thought might make a nice card, but I wasn't particularly excited about it because I wasn't sure how perfect it would be for Father's Day. Then I saw Kim's Father's Day card. It was really nice, and very wonderful for a Father's Day card. I had been wanting to do Beate's tutorial for her Gate Fold Card. So guess what?



Um...... let's just say that Kim can feel very flattered, the highest and most sincere form of flattery, too. :-)

Thanks, Kim.



"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."
Charles Caleb Colton circa 1820

Kim used the SU Classic Pickups set for her image, I used SU's Loads of Love.

Great things came out of the year 1958 :-), and here is one of them.


Oh! how sleek! OH!! how PINK!! Love at first sight!

But, as much as I admired and appreciated this Thunderbird and a few other 58's that were there, this 1956 Nash Metropolitan was my "Ladies Pick" of the day. What a beautiful, and oh so cute little trunkless scooter. I had visions of grabbing a friend, throwing our lightly packed bags in the back seat, and heading back down to Juliette, Georgia. Oh was this little car cute! Said that, huh? Well, she was a winner in my book. And, if only you could have seen the bad state it was originally in.







The owner had restoration progress pictures.

These classic car pictures are ones I took at church a couple of weeks ago. Our church hosted an antique car show that Sunday morning. It was advertised on our church web site and throughout the community. A good number of people that don't normally attend church brought their cars. There were those that just came to see the beautiful cars. It was really well attended and a lot of fun. Our church grilled hot dogs and hamburgers, and offered chips and pop. There was a good time had by all as far as I could tell.

Having the heart and the gifting of an evangelist, our pastor gave an amazing message on failure and being broken. But, the cornerstone of his message was on being restored.... like these beautiful cars had been. The message was really good (always is) and genius in it's timing with so many there that did not know Jesus, as their Savior personally.

Pastor began by going over the basics of humanity and our fallen condition. He went over how failure at times is inevitable, but that failure is an event and not a person. We do fail, we aren't failures. That in fact, God created us to do great things. He illustrated a few ways to prevent failure. He talked about how things can work out if we know Jesus. And when we trust in God, he will help us to make sure we finish those things he gave us to do. He then gave everyone the opportunity to receive Jesus into their life, and make Him Savior and Lord. After all, that is the first and most necessary step to restoration. Wow! what a great sermon and service all in all. It was a marvelous outreach.

Jon and I love classic cars, and so I thought the old truck on the Father's Day card was a really good idea. Since that was the theme on the card, I wanted to share my church's antique car show with you. Wish you could have been there.

And of course, Baxter had a card all ready, too. He is not above kissing up when he knows there is fresh hamburger headed for the grill.












Thought I'd slip another picture.....








or two of him in here while I am at it.













Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I AM flattered, my dear! Thank you! What a nice card you made for your hubby! The dog card was adorable. Our dog has not ever given his "daddy" a Father's Day card, but he should, eh? ;)

Those car picks are beautiful! Don't you wish all cars had such class? And the way you pastor used the restored cars as an analogy of Christ's restoring power was brilliant. Lots of good seed sown, I bet.

Love to ya!