Saturday, April 28, 2007

Caramel Cake with Caramel Frosting.



I don't bake much anymore. Well, at least not the unhealthy stuff. But, it is Saturday and this Caramel Cake with Caramel frosting looked like it would be good. With only 1 3/4 cup of cake flour, I figured it would only make a single layer. The recipe did not have the pan size listed. If you are thinking you might try this recipe, it is a single nine inch pan. I used a round one... easier to frost than a square one. I got this recipe from some southern recipe link... here it is.

Caramel Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 3/4 cups cake flour (sift before measuring)
Resift with 1 cup brown sugar

Add:
1/2 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
13/4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat for 3 minutes. Bake in greased pan for 1/2 hour.

Caramel Frosting

2 tablespoons cake flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix cake flour and milk. Cook to a thick paste over slow flame.
Cool. Cream sugars and vanilla with butter and shortening. Beat
until light and fluffy. Blend in salt. Mix in cooled paste. Beat
until fluffy. Blend. Should look like whipped cream.

I did flour the pan as well even though the directions don't say to. The cake was pretty good. The texture was great. The flavor was good to, I just like a lot of the caramelly flavor and this has a nice subtle flavor. So, next time I will drizzle melted caramel on the plate before I put the cake on it, and I'll drizzle a little more all over the top.

You know, I really don't bake cakes anymore... I think I am really missing my daughter that is having the birthday this coming up week. I thought about her as I was putting the cake together. Happy birthday, Tara!!

I do have something else on "hoping" to post today, but I need to weed, prune and build a corral for our trash cans... and I haven't even gone to get the lumber. Ugh. More later. Until then....

Blessings!

No comments: