Thursday, April 26, 2007

How sweet it is!


I suppose this would be the post to mention my blog name and banner byline. I did not choose the name, "Honeycomb" because I am an honey enthusiast. Years ago when my girls were first leaving home, getting married and beginning their lives apart from me, (I think they call this empty nesting), they were spread out over two continents. I thought it would be a good idea to occasionally write a newsletter and send it to them. I put different things in it like... articles on nutrition, updates on family events, what the Lord was teaching me, etc. I wanted to continue to build them up. I wanted to continue to speak health and life and wisdom into their lives to the best of my ability. I knew that pleasant words were like honey, sweet to the soul and health for the bones. I named that newsletter, Honeycomb. When I went to set up this blog, I had the same idea just on a bigger scale than 3 hard copy, snail mailed newsletters. And when I make cards, it is the same thing. I want to bring something sweet to the soul, which is good for the body, into the recipients life. So, the blog was birthed out of a desire to share any good thing the Lord gives me, with others. i.e. my cards, what the Lord is teaching me, good recipes, nutritional tips, happy events.. etc.

Sometimes, I think people in general underestimate the power of what they say... their words. Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]." Remember that wretched little childhood rhyme.. "Sticks and stones may break my bones; but words can never hurt me"? That is such a lie! Yes, sticks and stones can break bones, but words can crush a spirit. Our deepest wounds are often hung on the hinges of someones words. Our own demise can come by our own words. But!!!, we can use our words for good. Proverbs 18:21 did say, "Death and LIFE are in the power of the tongue...". Our words can be such a beautiful thing. Florence Littauer's book, Silver Boxes; The Gift of Encouragement, describes our words as silver boxes that carry our words... words that can be so wonderfully used for the good of others as well as ourselves. And she is right, we can use words to encourage and strengthen others... as well as ourselves.

The world was created with words, the fig tree was withered with words, and Jesus died not by the hatred of those around him... but by words. Powerful and creative forces words are.

Okay, so back to the honey part of this post. Though I don't go around advocating honey, it is not without merit. Honey is a great and wonderful food source. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and an anti-viral substance. It is an excellent alternative to sugar. It has proven effective in raising LDL's and decreasing overall HDL's in high cholesterol patients. It sustains good blood sugar levels in diabetic patients and it is a very good antioxidant... combined with tea... you have a superior antioxidant blood cleansing and sustaining cocktail! It is a good source of energy. It can sooth coughs........ it is SO sweet and yummy!!!! Maybe I should hook up with the honey people. They have a great thing there. This site may interest you.

Like with everything else we eat, raw is always better than processed. There is a store in Juliette, Georgia named... you got it, "Honeycomb". Honey has a significant place in the story of, Fried Green Tomatoes. And so, a store carrying primarily honey based products made since. They have honey filled candies, honey skin products, and of course honey. One of the two women that own the store also has a bee farm. She and her husband provide RAW honey to their customers. I snapped up two, 16 ounce bottles of it. I am hoping that lasts me until I get back down there in October for their, Annual Green Tomato Festival. I guess I won't be baking with it. I do not know if it's the Georgia pollen or what, but this is the best honey I have ever had.

Though my favorite everyday tea is Twinings Lady Grey, and I have been enjoying that with this honey today..... tonight this delicious golden syrupy delight is going in a hot cup of Bigelow Vanilla Caramel. Dessert!

No comments: